Do you FEEL STRESSED? If “Yes”, then join the crowd!
You can appreciate the facial expression – we’ve all had it at one time or another. World Class Athlete Program Biathlon athlete Sergeant Kristina Sabasteanski, USA, displays some of the stress of competition at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games. The Biathlon combines cross country skiing with precision target shooting – she looks ready to perform, and give it her best but the pressure is obviously on!
It’s human nature to feel that we are different; that everyone else is fine and our life of stress is a rarity. So, when it comes to stress are we ALONE, or do we actually have LOTS OF COMPANY???
The fact is, a majority of us feel STRESSED all too often!
3 in 4 people feel stress at least occasionally. That seems really high, but what is more concerning is that 4 in 10 experience stress frequently!
- 40% felt they experienced stress frequently, as reported by a Gallup survey.
- 76% felt they experienced stress frequently or occasionally. What! That’s 3 in 4 people!
We can understand stress for a short period of time in the Olympics. But what about the stress from “normal” lives like ours: traffic, correcting billing errors, conflicts at work, time pressure from deadlines, arguing young children, financial pressures, social pressures, disappointments, etc. That is the reality today, and as seen in the survey, you are not alone at all in your hectic, stressful day!
What groups are more prone to STRESS?
And the STRESS feeling INCREASES if you are part of these groups:
- Working Adults: If you work, the percentage of those feeling frequent stress climbs to 45% (from the overall average of 40%)!
- Parents with Children younger than 18 years old: If you have children younger than 18 years old, the percentage of those feeling frequent stress increases to 49% (from the overall average of 40%)!
- Younger Americans: If you are from the age of 15-54, your percentage of those feeling frequent stress increases to 45% (from the overall average of 40%)! Are you over 55? If so it drops to 27%. Maybe we should all retire (just kidding – dream on)!
How does Time-Crunch affect our STRESS level?
In our last article on “Time-Crunched” we learned that 48% of Americans feel that they do not have enough time to do what they want. Does this Time-Crunch lead to more stress?
- Time-Crunched: Of those that feel that they do not have enough spare time, 54% experience frequent stress.
- Not Time-Crunched: Of those that feel that they do have enough spare time, 27% experience frequent stress.
Therefore, those who don’t have enough time to do what they want are twice as likely to have frequent stress!
Stressed? – If “Yes”; WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY! If “No”, congratulations – THE REST OF US ARE ENVIOUS!
What can we do about our Time-Crunch related stress? That will be upcoming in this article series … see you then!
Which group are you in – do you feel STRESSED 1) Frequently, 2) Sometimes, or 3) Rarely? ☺ Participate in the community; leave your comment below…
Doug and Janet
Time Excellence: Maximize Your Time – Make a Difference! ™
Keywords: “Time Excellence”, “Time Management”, “Time Crunched”, “Out of Time”, Goals, Dreams, Purpose, “Douglas Calvin”
Note: Photo courtesy National Archives